Explaining some of the art I have been making


I currently spend all of my free time working on 3D models like these. I use some various trigonometry equations, and the Mathematica program, as well as Blender.

It's hard to describe without going into a lot of personal detail what I'm trying to achieve.



The 3D models are representations of extraterrestrial geometry. They don't do a very good job of it, but they get closer and closer to it every time I sit down and work.

I have no idea of actual extraterrestrials use cosine series and prime numbers, but that's what I'm working with.



The thing is that these were never supposed to look so flat. I'm trying to make a certain type of curve.


Curves like that kind of approximate what I'm trying to do. It's not a logarithmic kind of curve, or an exponential one. It's somewhere in-between being elliptic and hyperbolic. I really think it's a theta function or a mock theta function, which is why I'm reading Ramanujan. Like so many great mathematicians, he said that he only wanted to know God's thoughts.


Working on these always inspires me to think about biodiversity, when the equations I'm writing start to produce shapes that vaguely look alive. In fact, my current goal is to understand why certain combinations of trigonometric series can have this effect.


Comments